For The Public

Frequently Asked Questions

We've answered some common questions asked by people across Texas. We hope you find them useful.

{Back to top}

I need a lawyer. Can you help me decide what kind of lawyer I need?
Yes, we can refer you to a lawyer who best matches your legal problem. You can also search for a lawyer yourself in our Find a Lawyer online directory
  • Do You Need a Lawyer? Visit this section to get details and contact information. Then give our LRIS staff a call and we'll help you find the lawyer or agency you need.
  • Necesita un Abogado? Para obtener informacion en como le podemos ayudar a encontrar un abogado. Mas â?? obtener informacion si usted tiene preguntas acerca de los cargos a su cuenta o si usted necesita presentar una queja en contra de su abogado.
  • Encuentre un Abogado: Busque en linea el directorio gratuito de abogados por ubicacion y area de practica.

How can I find an inexpensive lawyer, or lawyer who will work for free?
We do not keep a list of lawyers who are inexpensive, or who work for free (i.e., pro bono).
What we can do is refer you -- no charge for the referral -- to a lawyer or agency through our certified Lawyer Referral Information Service (LRIS) to help with your legal problem. Our network of LRIS lawyers do not work for free. You negotiate with your lawyer about payment during your first meeting.
If you cannot afford a lawyer you might be eligible for free civil legal assistance through your local legal aid office. Click the link below for more information: [Website] this free website includes legal forms and information intended for people who cannot afford civil legal services.

How can I find out if a lawyer has ever been disciplined by the State Bar for professional misconduct?

  • The Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel maintains the records on Texas lawyers’ public discipline history.

{Back to top}

What information is available about a lawyer’s disciplinary history?
  • A lawyer’s public discipline history is available in the Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel. A copy of a public disciplinary judgment can be obtained for a fee.
  • The existence of a pending grievance or disciplinary proceeding against a lawyer is confidential, in accordance with Rule 2.16 of the Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure.
  • The existence of a dismissed grievance or disciplinary proceeding that resulted in a dismissal is confidential, in accordance with Rule 6.08 of the Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure.
How do I file a grievance against my lawyer?
  • If you believe your lawyer has engaged in unethical conduct, you may report the conduct to the State Bar of Texas, Office of the Chief Disciplinary. Filing a Grievance: Visit this section to get the details on how the grievance process works and how to file a grievance against a lawyer.
  •  What do I do if my lawyer dies, disappears, becomes disabled, or is suspended or disbarred or if I want to report a lawyer’s death or disability?
  • Here is a checklist of the steps you should take.

What do I do if my lawyer is not returning my calls?

  • If you have trouble communicating with your lawyer, the Client-Attorney Assistance Program (CAAP) can provide assistance. Please call (800)9321900

How do I find a lawyer who is licensed both in Texas and another state?
The State Bar of Texas does not have a list of lawyers who are licensed in other states. We suggest that you contact the bar association in that state.

American Bar Association (ABA) [Website]
Visit the ABA website for a list of bar associations in each state.

{Back to top}

Where do I find information on tenant's rights, family law, or how to draft a living will?
We have a library of consumer legal information for the public on this website, and it's all free.
  • Our Legal System: If you've been arrested, or summoned for jury duty, or you want to be a lawyer? Get info on these topics and more.
  • Consumer & Tenant Rights: Download a brochures on consumer information and your rights as a renter. Stay in control when you stay informed.
  • Family Law: Find legal guides regarding child abuse, a divorce handbook, what to expect in court, and more family issue information.
  • Elder Law: Do you need a will? Living trust scams and more senior consumer information.
  • Schools:Download our educational pamphlets on the constitutional rights of students, parents, and principals.
  • Borrow a Free Video: You may watch videos online or borrow videos and no charge for up to two weeks from our extensive library of educational videos.
  • Informacion en Espanol: Baje nuestros folletos educativos, los cuales ofrecen una variedad de asuntos legales que hemos traducido para usted en espanol.
  • Client Page: The items here originally appeared in the "Client Page" column in the Texas Bar Journal. The Client Page offers useful legal information for consumers.

{Back to top}

Do you have the number for my local legal aid office?
Please call our main telephone number here at the State Bar of Texas. We will provide you with the number of the legal aid office in your county.

Toll free: (800) 204-2222
Direct: (512) 427-1463

How do I file a complaint against my landlord?
We have a free library of information geared toward the public on this site.

  • Consumer & Tenant Rights: Visit this section for a free download of the Tenants' Rights Handbook. It is full of useful and valuable information, including the details to your question on filing a complaint.

{Back to top}

Article Options