Frequently Asked Questions

We've answered some common questions asked by people across Texas. We hope you find them useful.

I need a lawyer. Can you help me decide what kind of lawyer I need?

Yes, we can refer you to a lawyer who best matches your legal problem. You can also search for a lawyer yourself in our Find a Lawyer online directory.

  • Do You Need a Lawyer? Visit this section to get details and contact information. Then give our LRIS staff a call and we'll help you find the lawyer or agency you need.

  • Necesita un Abogado? Para obtener informacion en como le podemos ayudar a encontrar un abogado. Mas obtener informacion si usted tiene preguntas acerca de los cargos a su cuenta o si usted necesita presentar una queja en contra de su abogado.

  • Encuentre un Abogado: Busque en linea el directorio gratuito de abogados por ubicacion y area de practica.

How can I find an inexpensive lawyer, or lawyer who will work for free?

We do not keep a list of lawyers who are inexpensive, or who work for free (i.e., pro bono).

What we can do is refer you -- no charge for the referral -- to a lawyer or agency through our certified Lawyer Referral Information Service (LRIS) to help with your legal problem. Our network of LRIS lawyers do not work for free. You negotiate with your lawyer about payment during your first meeting.

If you cannot afford a lawyer you might be eligible for free civil legal assistance through your local legal aid office. Click the link below for more information:

  • Do You Need a Lawyer? Visit this section to get details about our referral service and contact information.

  • Can't Afford a Lawyer? You might qualify for legal aid if you meet income guidelines.

  • this free website includes legal forms and information intended for people who cannot afford civil legal services.

How can I find out if a lawyer has ever been disciplined by the State Bar for professional misconduct?

The Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel maintains the records on Texas lawyers’ public discipline history.

What information is available about a lawyer’s disciplinary history?

  • A lawyer’s public discipline history is available in the Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel. A copy of a public disciplinary judgment can be obtained for a fee.

  • The existence of a pending grievance or disciplinary proceeding against a lawyer is confidential, in accordance with Rule 2.16 of the Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure.

  • The existence of a dismissed grievance or disciplinary proceeding that resulted in a dismissal is confidential, in accordance with Rule 6.08 of the Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure.

How do I file a grievance against my lawyer?

If you believe your lawyer has engaged in unethical conduct, you may report the conduct to the State Bar of Texas, Office of the Chief Disciplinary.

Filing a Grievance: Visit this section to get the details on how the grievance process works and how to file a grievance against a lawyer.

Also, the Supreme Court of Texas created an ombudsman to be an independent source of information for the public and a monitor of the attorney discipline system. Learn more about the ombudsman here.

What do I do if my lawyer dies, disappears, becomes disabled, or is suspended or disbarred or if I want to report a lawyer’s death or disability?

Here is a checklist of the steps you should take.

What do I do if my lawyer is not returning my calls?

If you have trouble communicating with your lawyer, the Client-Attorney Assistance Program (CAAP) can provide assistance. Please call (800) 932-1900.

How do I find a lawyer who is licensed both in Texas and another state?

The State Bar of Texas does not have a list of lawyers who are licensed in other states. We suggest that you contact the bar association in that state.

Visit the ABA website for a list of bar associations in each state: American Bar Association (ABA).

Where do I find information on tenant's rights, family law, or how to draft a living will?

We have a library of consumer legal information for the public on this website, and it's all free. Visit our pamphlets page.

Do you have the number for my local legal aid office?

Please call our main telephone number here at the State Bar of Texas. We will provide you with the number of the legal aid office in your county.

Toll free:(800) 204-2222
Direct: (512) 427-1463

{Back to top}