For Lawyers

Request Reinstatement From Inactive Status

Inactive members may request reinstatement to the State Bar of Texas at any time.


  1. Submit a written request stating that you have not practiced law in Texas during the fiscal period that you were an inactive member. A fiscal period (and the State Bar of Texas dues year) is June 1st through May 31st.
  2. Include a check or money order made payable to Clerk, Supreme Court of Texas, or a credit card authorization form to charge your Visa or MasterCard.
  3. To determine your fees for the current fiscal period, please call our Membership Department at 800-204-2222, ext. 1383.
  4. You must also update your MCLE status with us.
  5. Attach all your documents and include a SASE and mail or fax to:

State Bar of Texas
Membership Department
P.O. Box 12487
Austin, Texas 78711-2487

Fax your documents and credit card authorization to:
(512) 427-4424

Please allow 5-10 business days to process your request and receive your confirmation letter and new bar card.

{Back to top}

Article Options

Skip Advertisement


Related Information

Attorney Membership Forms

Download attorney membership forms here.

Common Lawyer Requests

Make sure your membership is up-to-date. Find answers to common membership questions here.

Find a Colleague

Search below to find a lawyer near you.

Use our advanced search.