LLOYD P. LOCHRIDGE, JR.
State Bar President, 1974-1975
The Texas Law Center was financed and built during the 1974-1975 State Bar presidency of Lloyd P. Lochridge, Jr., of Austin. The Bar implemented a statewide program of law-focused education in the Texas public schools, and the Client Security Fund was adopted. Also, during 1974-1975 there was a continuation of the statewide lawyer referral system, and improvements were made in the standards of Bar admissions.
Lloyd P. Lochridge, Jr., was born in Austin, Texas in 1918, the son of Franklyn B. and Lloyd P. Lochridge, Sr. He married Frances Potter in 1943 and has two sons and four daughters. One son, Patton G. Lochridge, also practices law in Austin. Lochridge attended Princeton University and received his A.B. degree cum laude in economics in 1938. He then went on to Harvard law school and graduated with an LL.B. degree in 1941. He was admitted to the Bar of the District of Columbia in 1942 and to the State Bar of Texas in 1945. He practiced in Mission, Texas, from 1945-1959 before moving to Austin. During World War II he served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy and retired from the Navy as a commander.
Besides serving as President of the State Bar, Lochridge is also a former member and past president of the Hidalgo County Bar, a member and past president of the Travis County Bar, and a member and delegate of the American Bar Association. He was chairman of the State Bar Committee on Administration of Justice in 1964-1966 and chairman of the Organization of the Bar Committee in 1973-1974. Lochridge is a Democrat and has served as a senior warden and vestryman of the Episcopal Church. He is a past president of the Mission and Austin Kiwanis Clubs and holds memberships in the Salvation Army Advisory Board of Austin, the Princeton Elm Club, the Lincoln's Inn Society, and the Choate Club. He is a former director of the Austin Symphony Orchestra.