CLOSING DATE: January 17, 2014 - 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $43,939 - $49,431 annually, plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Investigator II
DEPARTMENT: Chief Disciplinary Counsel - Austin
Supports trial attorneys in case development. Conducts investigations and analysis of complaints of professional misconduct against attorneys licensed to practice law in Texas. Responsible for mentoring and training of less experienced investigators as assigned by Regional Counsel. This position involves extensive contact with virtually all departments of the State Bar, various law enforcement agencies, courts, and other agencies and organizations outside the State Bar.
1. Performs routine and complex investigations, including analyzing complaints and attorney responses; reviewing court, medical, insurance, bank or other records; obtaining sworn statements from witnesses; and preparing summaries of prior disciplinary action against respondents.
2. Prepares Investigative Reports, attends hearings, and makes presentations to grievance committees on the results of investigations of attorney complaints.
3. Assists trial attorneys in the preparation and prosecution of law suits.
4. Maintains close liaison with law enforcement and other governmental agencies providing assistance in grievance investigations.
5. Responds to telephone and written inquiries from complainants, respondents, witnesses, and the public while maintaining confidentiality.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS:A bachelor’s degree is preferred, Certified Peace Officer’s license strongly preferred. Or, a minimum of college-level course work and ten years of experience in civil and/or criminal investigative work required and extensive experience in report-writing with respect to the same is required. Effective written and oral communication skills required. Personal computer and Word software knowledge required. Must be able to work evenings and weekends when necessary. A valid Texas driver’s license is required. Some travel required.