JOB NUMBER: 14-01-3145
CLOSING DATE: June 28, 2013- 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $58,882 - $66,242 annually, plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Trial Attorney I
DEPARTMENT: Chief Disciplinary Counsel- Houston
Represents the Texas Commission for Lawyer Discipline in attorney discipline proceedings in District Courts, the Supreme Court’s Board of Disciplinary Appeals, and before District Grievance Committees. Provides ethical direction to State Bar members. This position involves frequent contact with State Bar departments, as well as with outside agencies and organizations, and with complainants and respondent attorneys.
1. Reviews and evaluates complaints for purpose of just cause determinations.
2. Presents cases for summary dismissal to panels of district grievance committees.
3. Performs pre-litigation investigations related to the processing of grievances.
4. Prepares documents for proceedings before a grievance committee or district court,
including investigative reports, disciplinary petitions, discovery requests and
judgments and orders.
5. Assists in the representation of the Commission for Lawyer Discipline in evidentiary hearings and state district court proceedings.
6. Evaluates and negotiates settlements for recommendation to the Commission for Lawyer Discipline in both evidentiary and district court proceedings.
7. Represent the State Bar of Texas where appropriate in civil actions in state and federal
8. Perform other responsibilities as required.
Applicants must be licensed to practice law in Texas and be in good standing with the State Bar of Texas. A minimum of three years of litigation experience is preferred. The position requires knowledge of litigation and appellate practice (state and federal), including the Rules of Civil Procedure and Rules of Evidence, and familiarity with the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct and Texas Rules of Disciplinary Procedure. Effective legal research and writing skills, as well as personal computer and Word required. Applicants must be able to communicate effectively, coordinate workflow to meet mandatory deadlines, and manage a large and fluctuating caseload. This position requires occasional travel.