For Lawyers

Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) for Lawyers: Join Our Network

Why should you join the Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS)? Our panel members enjoy:

  • Screened client referrals that increase client base and earnings 
  • Additional referrals through our automated online referral system
  • 20% off TexasBarCLE products and services
  • Access to the largest potential client pool in the state
  • Customized preferences to receive the best referrals possible

You never know where your next big case may come from – let us help direct it to you!  Download the LRIS Application and Guidelines, complete and return the membership application today.

Already a member of LRIS?

Click here to manage your account

Customer Service
If you have questions or need help with your account, please call us at (800)204-2222, Ext. 1720. Thank you for your participation in the Lawyer Referral Information Service.

Program details | Steps to join our LRIS program |
Contact us with questions

Program Details

We field 6,000-7,000 calls per month and serve more than 240 counties across Texas*. Each call is carefully screened to make sure we are sending qualified referrals to our panel members – only 40% of the callers qualify as a panel referral, while the other 60% are referred to legal aid, local referral programs or other resources.

Referrals are made on rotation and based on the county (or counties) you service and on the subject area (or areas) you engage in. We will work with you to customize your preferences so that we provide you with the best referrals possible.  You can also change your preferences at any time.

Panel members agree to provide to all referral clients an initial consultation of up to ½ hour for no more than $20, a fee which you keep.  After which, if you and the client agree to continue with the case, your standard fees apply for the services(s) you provide.

On any referral from LRIS that results in a case that generates attorney fees of $500 or more, 10% of the total fees are to be remitted back to LRIS.

Callers who indicate they are looking for low or no cost legal assistance are directed to a pro bono service or other resource.

Steps to Join LRIS

In order to join, you must be a member of the State Bar of Texas in good standing, pursuant to Rule 1.01 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct**.  All members of the LRIS must also carry professional liability insurance for a minimum of $100,000. Click here for more details (pdf).

  1. Download and fill out our application. This PDF download also includes all rules and information about joining. Please read the rules carefully.

2. Return your completed application, professional liability insurance declaration page, and a check for $125 (annual fee) made payable to the State Bar of Texas / LRIS. Mail to:

State Bar of Texas / LRIS
P.O. Box 12487
Austin, Texas 78701

Or fax your application and professional liability insurance page with Visa or MasterCard payment to fax number (512) 427-4115.

Please allow us 2-3 days to process your application once we receive it.

You will receive a welcome letter in the mail with more details on reporting guidelines.

Thank you for your interest in LRIS. We hope to work with you soon!

{Back to top}

Contact Us

Contact us with any questions at (800) 204-2222, ext. 1720.


*Our service does not include the counties of Bexar, Dallas, El Paso, Harris, Jefferson, Nueces, Tarrant and Travis, as these counties are covered by local referral programs.

** Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct (Effective 6/1/05) [PDF]: All Texas lawyers must follow these rules. Please note Revised Rule 1.04 exempts certified referral services from the fee sharing rule.

Article Options

Skip Advertisement


Related Information

Report Your MCLE Hours

Report your MCLE hours on My Bar Page

Dues and Other Fees

Get the details on your annual dues and fees.

State Bar College

The State Bar College recognizes Texas lawyers who attend at least double the Continuing Legal Education (CLE) required by the State Bar of Texas.

Stories of Recovery

The roller coaster ride of perfection.

Stories of Recovery

Living life on life's terms.

Stories of Recovery

From dread to hope: How I confronted my drinking problem.

Stories of Recovery

Finding a path to joyful practice.

Find a Colleague

Search below to find a lawyer near you.

Use our advanced search.