Request a Name Change

Please visit for detailed instructions to request a name change with the Supreme Court of Texas.


1. You must submit the following items to the Supreme Court of Texas:

  • A request for name change form.

  • A copy of a valid, government-issued identification card such as a driver’s license, social security card, or passport.

  • For a new Bar card: Return your old barcard and submit a Replacement Bar Card Order Formwith credit card information to the Supreme Court.

  • For a new law license: Return your old license and remit a separate check in the amount of $25 made payable to the Clerk of the Supreme Court of Texas.

2. Please mail your items, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

    The Supreme Court of Texas
    Attention: Name Change Request
    P.O. Box 12248
    Austin, TX 78711-2248

[PLEASE NOTE: When paying for both the law license and the bar card, two separate payments are required, as described above. A new law license may not be purchased using a credit card.]

It takes about 2-3 weeks to complete a name change request. If requested, the new bar card and/or law license will be mailed to you upon completion of the name change process.

Please contact the Clerk's office at the Texas Supreme Court with any questions at (512) 463-1312.

{Back to top}

We use cookies to analyze our traffic and enhance functionality. More Information agree