JOB NUMBER: 13-038-1910
CLOSING DATE: June 14, 2013- 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $32,788 - $36,886 annually,
plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Editor
DEPARTMENT: Texas Bar Journal
Writes articles and compiles departmental information for the
TexasBar Journal. Edits, proofreads, and conducts
fact-checking of information. Works as a part of the Communications
Division on a variety of communication tools including website, social
media, directories, brochures, newsletters, and special electronic
communications. Performs office duties including filing,
correspondence, and scheduling.
- Works with Texas Bar Journal managing editor to find
interesting story ideas; stays abreast of current developments within
the legal community in Texas.
- Writes feature and news articles each month; rewrites press
releases and articles received from outside sources.
- Collects information for articles and stories from interviews and
State Bar files.
- Coordinates and collects information for several sections of the
Texas Bar Journal.
- Assists with magazine layout and correcting copy using a Macintosh
- Writes, edits, and produces content for a range of State Bar
publications, which may include brochures, annual reports, newsletters,
e-newsletters, press releases, websites, online advertisements, blogs,
podcasts, video and other multimedia, and social media.
- Assists with developing and implementing an organizational social
- Works to establish and maintain cross-promotion of print and
- Assists with administrative workflow.
- Perform other responsibilities as required.
Bachelor’s degree required. Two years of journalism or other
publication experience preferred. Must be proficient in desktop
publishing using a Macintosh operating system (Microsoft Word and
QuarkXpress). Proficiency with a 35 mm and/or digital camera preferred.
Must be an excellent proofreader. Must be able to understand a subject,
conduct interviews, work well with volunteers, and write clear, concise
articles. Must be organized. Requires the ability to work well under
pressure, work on several projects simultaneously, and produce work that
is accurate and neat. Occasional travel required.