You can find more detailed
information about TLAP and resources for the Texas legal community at
the links below:
Substance abuse is a term used to describe the continuum of problems related to misuse of substances (alcohol, illicit or prescription drugs, food) that are potentially addictive.
Ongoing substance abuse can become substance dependence which, if untreated, can develop into addiction. The disease of addiction is progressive, chronic and, without effective intervention, can be fatal. Like other chronic diseases, it can be managed with ongoing support and the maintenance of a healthy – physical, mental and spiritual – lifestyle.
TLAP's staff can provide counseling for the lawyer in crisis, as well as referrals to professionals in the substance abuse field who are familiar with the challenges of the legal profession. Also, TLAP can provide referrals to professionals who treat process addictions, such as gambling, internet, sex and pornography.
Resources Regarding Substance Abuse [PDFs]
and Substance Abuse (Butler Center for Research, Hazelden Fdn.)
Dreams, Mended Lives. President's Opinion, Bob Black (TBJ
- Demystifying 12 Step Programs
- Facts and Fiction about Alcoholism
the Man Takes a Drink…Understanding Alcohol Abuse, Dr. Marilyn Vache
- Is Addiction Really a Disease?
Concerned for Lawyers Support Groups
Science of Addiction.
National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Trauma and Alcohol and Drug Use. Peter Goetz, MFT (San Francisco).
- Addiction and other Mental Illnesses
- Addiction in Women.
February 2012, Harvard Health
Publications Harvard Medical School. Posted with permission by Harvard Health
- Addiction Science: National Institute on Drug
Addiction Science and Research Center
- Seeking Drug Abuse Treatment: Know What to
- The Science of Addiction
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Meetings in Texas
- Boston University Alcohol Screening
Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Rethinking Drinking: Alcohol and Your Health
- Treatment for Alcohol Problems: Finding and Getting Help
- Anorexia Nervosa and Related
- Eating Disorders
- Food Addiction: Beyond Ordinary Eating Disorders
- National Council on Problem Gambling
on Gambling Addiction. Posted with permission by the Pennsylvania
- Sexual Addiction Screening Test
- Society for Advancement of Sexual Health
Health and Wellness Series Videos
TLAP staff are on call day and night, every day of the year. All information, including the caller's identity is confidential.
Take an online screening assessment for alcohol abuse or depression.
Find out information about support groups in your area.
Find a Colleague
Search below to find a lawyer near you.