Legal Services Fee
Attorneys must pay the Legal Services Fee of $65 annually. Half of legal services fees are allocated to the Supreme Court Judicial Fund which provides civil legal services to the poor, and the other half goes to the Fair Defense Account of the State's general revenue fund, for indigent criminal defense.
In order to avoid penalties all dues, taxes, and fees must be
received in our office by June 1.
Members who remit the legal services fee after August 31 of any fiscal year are suspended.
Who is Exempt from the Legal Services Fee?
You are exempt from this fee if you meet at least one of the following conditions:
- 70 years of age or older on or before December 31st of the current fiscal year (June 1 – May 31);
- Inactive status under the rules governing the licensing of attorneys;
- Out of state attorneys who are not practicing in Texas;
- Judges – full or part-time;
- Federal and state employees;
- City, county, and district attorneys who do not have a private practice that accounts for more than 50 percent of their time;
- An employee of a 501(c) (3) or 501(c) (6) non-profit corporation whose employees are prohibited from private practice; or
- MCLE non-practicing attorney must qualify with the MCLE department
How to Claim an Exemption
To claim an exemption from your legal services fee, fill out the Tax/LSF Exemption Form [PDF] and send to the Membership Dept. Attorneys may also file exemptions online through their My Bar Page when the online payment season is open.
Are you an attorney member serving in a combat zone? You may be exempt from annual dues. Download the Military Waiver Form [PDF].
Contact Us with Questions About Your Fee
If you've read the details on this page and still have questions, please contact us.
We need your Bar Card number in order to help you. You will also be asked for the last four digits of your SSN and your date of birth to verify your identity and ensure your privacy.
State Bar of Texas
P.O. Box 12030
Austin, TX 78711
State Bar of Texas
1414 Colorado St.
Austin, TX 78701
* In 2003, the 78th Legislature amended Section 81.054 of the State Bar Act requiring the Supreme Court to administer and collect a legal services fee in the amount of $65 to be paid annually by each active member of the State Bar.