About UsFor more information on starting a legal clinic in your area, contact Lindsey Ratcliff at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (512) 427-1517.
Local Bar Association Clinics
Veterans’ legal clinics are a primary component of Texas Lawyers for Texas Veterans, and they offer local bar associations the opportunity to provide veterans in their communities with the basic civil legal assistance they need. The Houston Bar Association, which has hosted veterans’ legal clinics since 2008, has given invaluable assistance to the State Bar in providing its knowledge and resources to help other local bars establish their own clinics.
Civil practice areas covered in veterans legal clinics include but are not necessarily limited to Bankruptcy, Child Support, Consumer/Contracts, Divorce or Custody/Guardianship/Probate, Landlord/Tenant, Wills/Estate Planning, Employment, Housing, and Tax.
Pro bono clinics for veterans are available in all metropolitan areas of the state, including Austin, Dallas, El Paso, Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio, as well as in smaller communities, such as Bastrop, Beaumont, Denton, Galveston, and Midland-Odessa.
TLTV Legal Clinics
- El Paso Lawyers for Patriots
- Lone Star Legal Aid: Lone Star Lawyers for Lone Star Veterans
- TLTV: Tarrant County Bar Association
Determine Veterans’ Needs in Your Area
Contact the leadership in your county, city, or region, as well as your nearest Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA) facility or Veterans of Foreign Wars or American Legion post, to help determine the need for veterans’ legal services in your area and to establish support for a clinic.
How to Start a Veterans’ Legal Clinic
- Click here for a legal clinic toolkit [PDF]
- Click here for tips on organizing and publicizing a Legal Clinic [PDF]
- Click here for the Austin Bar's Veterans Legal Clinic Orientation [PDF]
- Engaging Veterans and Families to Enhance Service Delivery: A Toolkit from The National Center on Family Homelessness [PDF]
Local bar associations can request a free “Clinic in a Box,” which contains everything an organization need to host a veterans’ legal clinic — forms, folders, signs, office supplies, etc.
Clinic in a Box Contents [PDF]
To download the Clinic in a Box Printed Materials:
- Legal Clinic "How-to" [PDF]
- Sample Clinic Signage and Flyers [PDF]
- Volunteer and Applicant Sign-in Sheets [PDF]
- 2012 Federal Poverty Guidelines [PDF]
- Attorney Notes Page [PDF]
- Application for Legal Services (English) (Spanish) [Word]
- Applicant Agreement [Word]
- Intake Questionnaire [Word]:
To request a complete Clinic in a Box, email Lindsey Ratcliff at email@example.com, (800) 204-2222, ext. 1517.
Find a Lawyer
Search below to find a lawyer near you.