JOB NUMBER: 13-031-3045
CLOSING DATE: May 3, 2013 - 1:00 p.m. CST
SALARY: Commensurate with experience, plus excellent benefits,
POSITION TITLE: Public Affairs Administrator
DEPARTMENT: Chief Disciplinary Counsel - Austin
This position serves as the primary media contact for all inquiries regarding the attorney grievance and discipline system and disciplinary actions against members of the State Bar of Texas. This role also serves as the internal communications coordinator relative to developing and enhancing written materials used for the purpose of informing and educating members of the Bar and the public about the grievance and discipline system. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports directly to the Chief Disciplinary Counsel. The position involves frequent communication with the Chief Disciplinary Counsel staff in its various offices statewide, the Executive Department of the State Bar, members of the Commission for Lawyer Discipline, the media, and external entities and individuals.
- Initiates contact and responds promptly to requests from the news media with respect to inquiries about the attorney grievance and discipline process and pending or final disciplinary actions against members of the State Bar of Texas. Maintains positive relationships with members of the media.
- Handles substantive media inquiries and coordinates with the Bar’s Communications Department on press releases regarding recent judgments provided to local media outlets. Monitors high-profile grievance and disciplinary matters.
- Prepares news releases and media advisories in efforts to increase member awareness of professional ethics rules and related programs. Develops educational materials for constituency groups and presentation materials for speaking engagements to educate and enhance the understanding of the attorney grievance and discipline process to members and the public. Provides strategic and tactical support for communications response to unanticipated events in short time frames.
- Coordinates content and development of various reports, articles, newsletters, and brochures highlighting aspects of the disciplinary system, including the Commission for Lawyer Discipline’s Annual Report and other discipline related programs. Provides relevant and up-to-date content for the department’s communications, including website, Texas Bar Journal and other social media outlets on timely issues relative to the attorney grievances and discipline process.
- Assists the Chief Disciplinary Counsel in legislative matters, working closely with Governmental Relations to provide information and services to member of the Texas Legislature. Drafts proposed statutes and regulations as necessary.
- Develops and cultivates professional relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to the grievance and discipline system. Identifies outreach strategies for stakeholders to the attorney discipline system.
- Monitors statewide media for reports on allegations of attorney ethics violations and/or involvement in criminal activity. Compiles data for statistical reporting purposes.
- Performs other responsibilities as required.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS:J.D. required. Must have a Texas law license. Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related concentration, plus a minimum of five years of related communications and public relations experience preferred. Broad knowledge of the Texas legislative process preferred. Requires professional demeanor, good diplomacy skills, excellent writing and communication skills, strong organizational, planning, and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources, analyze information, and quickly recommend course of action. Requires ability to explain and advocate facts, positions, and policy in a succinct and convincing manner. Ability to develop press releases, presentation talking points, reports, and newsletters. Experience using Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms. Ability to establish credibility and support the organization’s preferences and priorities. Occasional travel required. Personal computer and computer software knowledge required.
Find a Lawyer
Search below to find a lawyer near you.