JOB NUMBER: 14-05-1815
CLOSING DATE: July 26, 2013 - 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $31,226 - $35,130 annually, plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Legal Secretary
DEPARTMENT: Chief Disciplinary Counsel - Austin
Provides a variety of legal and administrative support services with respect to the intake of grievances received in the Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel against attorneys licensed to practice law in Texas. This position involves the accurate handling of a high volume of data, in a deadline-driven environment, and frequent communication and interaction with the Intake Team, other departments in the organization, the general public, respondents, and other outside agencies and organizations.
- Responsible for accurate and timely data entry processing of incoming grievances, assuring all necessary information is received, scanned, and entered in the case-tracking database for attorney screening.
- Responsible for the timely return of documents and requests for additional information to complainants.
- Prepares and edits correspondence and legal documents in the classification, just cause, and litigation stages of the grievance process.
- Responds to oral and written requests; searches databases and provides information that is appropriate for release to the public.
- Organizes and maintains computer databases and physical filing systems.
- Assists attorneys and investigators with document preparation for grievance committee hearings, including the preparation of hearing packets and timely distribution of the same, as necessary.
- Shares responsibility with other staff as backup receptionist.
- Performs other responsibilities and conducts special projects as required.
High school diploma or equivalent required; some college-level courses preferred. A minimum of three years’ experience in administrative office work is preferred, preferably in a legal environment. Experience in legal secretarial work preferred. Requires the ability to meet the demands of a high volume of work that is deadline-driven. Requires exceptional communication and customer service skills. Ability to problem-solve and complete tasks in a timely and independent manner. Must be well organized, a self-starter, and detail oriented. Must be proficient in personal computers, Microsoft Office software, filing systems, scanning/fax equipment, telephone systems, and general office equipment. Experience in case management and tracking software preferred. Ability to speak and translate Spanish helpful.
Find a Lawyer
Search below to find a lawyer near you.