JOB NUMBER: 13-038-1910
CLOSING DATE: June 14, 2013- 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $32,788 - $36,886 annually, plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Editor
DEPARTMENT: Texas Bar Journal
Writes articles and compiles departmental information for the TexasBar Journal. Edits, proofreads, and conducts fact-checking of information. Works as a part of the Communications Division on a variety of communication tools including website, social media, directories, brochures, newsletters, and special electronic communications. Performs office duties including filing, correspondence, and scheduling.
- Works with Texas Bar Journal managing editor to find interesting story ideas; stays abreast of current developments within the legal community in Texas.
- Writes feature and news articles each month; rewrites press releases and articles received from outside sources.
- Collects information for articles and stories from interviews and State Bar files.
- Coordinates and collects information for several sections of the Texas Bar Journal.
- Assists with magazine layout and correcting copy using a Macintosh operating system.
- Writes, edits, and produces content for a range of State Bar publications, which may include brochures, annual reports, newsletters, e-newsletters, press releases, websites, online advertisements, blogs, podcasts, video and other multimedia, and social media.
- Assists with developing and implementing an organizational social media schedule.
- Works to establish and maintain cross-promotion of print and online content.
- Assists with administrative workflow.
- Perform other responsibilities as required.
Bachelor’s degree required. Two years of journalism or other publication experience preferred. Must be proficient in desktop publishing using a Macintosh operating system (Microsoft Word and QuarkXpress). Proficiency with a 35 mm and/or digital camera preferred. Must be an excellent proofreader. Must be able to understand a subject, conduct interviews, work well with volunteers, and write clear, concise articles. Must be organized. Requires the ability to work well under pressure, work on several projects simultaneously, and produce work that is accurate and neat. Occasional travel required.
Find a Lawyer
Search below to find a lawyer near you.