JOB NUMBER: 13-037-3005
CLOSING DATE: June 14, 2013 - 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $56,078 – $63,088 annually, plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Public Information Director
DEPARTMENT: Public Information
Manage media relations efforts to increase news media and public understanding of the legal and judicial system and the State Bar’s role in the system.
- Prepares and distributes news releases and media advisories to publicize State Bar programs and activities to educate the public about the legal profession and the judicial branch of government.
- Initiates contact and responds promptly to requests from the news media, and helps identify legal experts and other resources that can assist reporters in the coverage of specialized legal issues.
- Provides support to Stat Bar leadership serving in the role of spokespersons through briefings, message development, media training, and preparation of background materials.
- Plans and implements annual Texas Gavel Awards to recognize journalistic excellence in news reporting that helps foster public understanding of the legal and judicial system.
- Serves as staff liaison to State Bar Public Affairs Committee, including the planning and implementation of annual Open Government seminar and other committee priorities.
- Directs media messages, including high-profile lawyer disciplinary actions, legal topics of public interest, disaster response efforts, and priority issues identified by State Bar leadership.
- Supervises staff responsible for public information/public service pamphlets.
- Performs other responsibilities as required.
Requires bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field, plus five years professional level experience. Requires excellent writing and communication skills, strong organizational, planning and interpersonal skills. Supervisory experience preferred. Experience in public service or non-profit organization strongly preferred. Some travel required.
Find a Lawyer
Search below to find a lawyer near you.