Guardian Ad Litem Certification
(for attorneys only)
Steps for Certification
The following information outlines the process to become eligible to be appointed an attorney ad litem in Texas Courts under Chapter XIII, Texas Probate Code.*
- You must complete a State Bar-approved training course for guardianship ad litem. Search for a class in our CLE database: you may also complete approved self-study tapes and DVDs.
- Once your approved training has been completed, download and print
out the appropriate affidavit below:
MCLE Affidavit for General CLE Course [PDF]
MCLE Affidavit for DVD/Videotaped Self-Study Course [PDF]
- Complete and mail your affidavit, including a $25 processing fee, to the MCLE department (see address below). Faxed copies of affidavit will not be processed.
- Once we receive your affidavit and $25 fee, we will add you to our database of lawyers and mail you your certificate.
You will be certified for an initial two (2) year period. Once you have been certified for two (2) consecutive two year periods, you will then be certified for four (4) years.*
Guardianship Ad Litem Database
Certified Guardianship Ad Litem Attorneys: Please use this database to search for a certified ad litem attorney.
- Is Guardianship Certification a function of MCLE?
- How long is the certification period?
- What training courses qualify for Guardianship Certification?
- Are there self-study tapes/DVDs available for completing the training?
- Can I fax an affidavit of completion to get certificate?
certification a function of MCLE?
The MCLE Department keeps records of certified attorneys but certification is not a function of the MCLE program. Ad litem certification training is approved for MCLE credit and can be used toward MCLE compliance.
How long is the
The initial certification period is two-year period beginning on the date of issuance of the certificate. An attorney can receive a four-year certificate once he/she has been certified for two consecutive two-year terms.
What training courses
qualify for Guardianship Certification?
Approved training courses meet the requirement outlined in Section 81.114 of the State Bar Act. Sponsors of training courses should request review and approved by writing to the Director of MCLE.
Are there self-study
tapes/DVDs available for completing the training?
Yes. You can check with your local county bar association or visit TexasBarCLE to access courses.
If you still have questions after certification or renewal, please contact us.
State Bar of Texas
P.O. Box 13007
Austin, Texas 78711-3007
800.204-2222 (ext. 1806)
* Probate Code, Sect 647 A (e) [PDF]
Find a Colleague
Search below to find a lawyer near you.