For Lawyers

Foreign Legal Consultant (FLC) Certification

If you are:

  • a member in good standing of a recognized legal profession in a foreign country
  • admitted to practice as an attorney at law or the equivalent in a foreign country

Then you may become certified and maintain a limited consulting practice within the State of Texas upon the discretion of the Supreme Court of Texas.

Get Certified as a Foreign Legal Consultant (FLC)

Texas Board of Law Examiners [Website]
Visit this website to get an application, instructions, the rules, and fee amounts. The Texas Board of Law Examiners (BLE) is responsible for FLC certification and renewals.

Texas Board of Law Examiners phone:
(800) 204-2222, ext. 1383 or (512) 463-1621

You should call the  Board of Law Examiners within 30 days if you do not receive an acknowledgement that it has received your application.

{Back to top}

Renew Your FLC Status

If you are renewing your FLC status, you must also supply proof that you have completed the mandatory three (3) hours of approved ethics CLE programs. These instructions are also on the Board of Law Examiners website.

Once the  Board of Law Examiners has approved your initial application, it will mail you a packet of information, including an attendance certificate form for MCLE classes.

You may also download the form here:

After your certification or renewal has been processed by the  Board of Law Examiners (remember, it could take up to 30 days), the BLE sends it to the State Bar of Texas.

The State Bar will add you to the list of FLC members and mail you the Board of Law Examiners certification letter, along with your State Bar of Texas identification card.

If you have questions about your ID card or our specific responsibilities, please call our Membership Department at (800) 204-2222, ext. 1812, or email

{Back to top}

Article Options

Skip Advertisement


Related Information

Attorney Membership Forms

Download attorney membership forms here.

Common Lawyer Requests

Make sure your membership is up-to-date. Find answers to common membership questions here.

Find a Colleague

Search below to find a lawyer near you.

Use our advanced search.