For The Public
Can't Afford a Lawyer?
The State Bar does not provide direct legal services, represent individuals in legal matters, maintain a list of pro bono attorneys, or match individuals with pro bono attorneys. Please understand that funding for legal services is extremely limited and as a result, programs must turn away many with serious legal needs. At most, the State Bar can offer you referrals to low-cost civil legal services agencies in your area. For a listing of legal service providers by county, see the Referral Directory for Low-Income Texans [PDF].
If you do not qualify for legal aid, contact the Lawyer Referral Information Service at 1-800-252-9690. Through the Lawyer Referral Information Service, a person may have a thirty-minute consultation with an attorney for $20. At the end of the consultation, the attorney and individual may discuss possible representation and price structure. Please understand that the Lawyer Referral Information Service is not a pro bono or reduced-fee program
Other Helpful Resources
A website for low-income Texans with free information and family law, protective order, and other self-help legal forms
- Referral Directory for Low-Income Texans [PDF]
- Texas Lawyers for Texas Veterans, a new State Bar of Texas project helping low-income military veterans with legal issues.
- Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas, which serves the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area and NorthWest Texas.
- Lone Star Legal Aid, which serves the Houston area and East Texas.
- Texas RioGrande Legal Aid, which serves the Austin/ San Antonio area, El Paso area, and South Texas.