JOB NUMBER: 14-07-2410
CLOSING DATE: July 26, 2013 - 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $41,846 - $47,077 annually,
plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Associate Editor
DEPARTMENT: Texas Bar Journal
Writes articles and compiles departmental information for the Texas
Bar Journal. Edits, proofreads, and conducts fact-checking of
information. Works as a part of the Communications Division on a variety
of communication tools including website, social media, directories,
brochures, newsletters, and special electronic communications.
- Works with Texas Bar Journal managing editor to find
interesting story ideas; stays abreast of current developments within
the legal community in Texas.
- Writes feature and news articles each month; rewrites press
releases and articles received from outside sources.
- Collects information for articles and stories from interviews and
State Bar files.
- Coordinates and collects information for several sections of the
Texas Bar Journal.
- Assists with magazine layout and correcting copy using a
Macintosh operating system.
- Writes, edits, and produces content for a range of State Bar
publications, which may include brochures, annual reports, newsletters,
e-newsletters, press releases, websites, online advertisements, blogs,
podcasts, video and other multimedia, and social media.
- Responsible for developing and implementing an organizational
social media schedule.
- Works to establish and maintain cross-promotion of print and
- Performs other responsibilities as required.
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of magazine or newspaper experience
required. Must be proficient in desktop publishing using a Macintosh
operating system (Microsoft Word and QuarkXpress). Proficiency with a
35 mm and/or digital camera preferred. Must be an excellent
proofreader. Must be able to understand a subject, conduct interviews,
work well with volunteers, and write clear, concise articles. Must be
organized. Requires the ability to work well under pressure, work on
several projects simultaneously, and produce work that is accurate and
neat. Occasional travel required.