JOB NUMBER: 13-037-3005
CLOSING DATE: June 14, 2013 - 1:00 p.m. CST
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $56,078 – $63,088 annually,
plus excellent benefits
POSITION TITLE: Public Information Director
DEPARTMENT: Public Information
Manage media relations efforts to increase news media and public
understanding of the legal and judicial system and the State
Bar’s role in the system.
- Prepares and distributes news releases and media advisories to
publicize State Bar programs and activities to educate the public about
the legal profession and the judicial branch of government.
- Initiates contact and responds promptly to requests from the news
media, and helps identify legal experts and other resources that can
assist reporters in the coverage of specialized legal issues.
- Provides support to Stat Bar leadership serving in the role of
spokespersons through briefings, message development, media training,
and preparation of background materials.
- Plans and implements annual Texas Gavel Awards to recognize
journalistic excellence in news reporting that helps foster public
understanding of the legal and judicial system.
- Serves as staff liaison to State Bar Public Affairs Committee,
including the planning and implementation of annual Open Government
seminar and other committee priorities.
- Directs media messages, including high-profile lawyer
disciplinary actions, legal topics of public interest, disaster
response efforts, and priority issues identified by State Bar
- Supervises staff responsible for public information/public
- Performs other responsibilities as required.
Requires bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public
Relations or related field, plus five years professional level
experience. Requires excellent writing and communication skills, strong
organizational, planning and interpersonal skills. Supervisory
experience preferred. Experience in public service or non-profit
organization strongly preferred. Some travel required.