LLOYD P. LOCHRIDGE, JR.
State Bar President, 1974-1975
The Texas Law Center was financed and built during the 1974-1975
State Bar presidency of Lloyd P. Lochridge, Jr., of Austin. The Bar
implemented a statewide program of law-focused education in the Texas
public schools, and the Client Security Fund was adopted. Also, during
1974-1975 there was a continuation of the statewide lawyer referral
system, and improvements were made in the standards of Bar admissions.
Lloyd P. Lochridge, Jr., was born in Austin, Texas in 1918, the son
of Franklyn B. and Lloyd P. Lochridge, Sr. He married Frances Potter in
1943 and has two sons and four daughters. One son, Patton G. Lochridge,
also practices law in Austin. Lochridge attended Princeton University
and received his A.B. degree cum laude in economics in 1938.
He then went on to Harvard law school and graduated with an LL.B.
degree in 1941. He was admitted to the Bar of the District of Columbia
in 1942 and to the State Bar of Texas in 1945. He practiced in Mission,
Texas, from 1945-1959 before moving to Austin. During World War II he
served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy and retired from the
Navy as a commander.
Besides serving as President of the State Bar, Lochridge is also a
former member and past president of the Hidalgo County Bar, a member
and past president of the Travis County Bar, and a member and delegate
of the American Bar Association. He was chairman of the State Bar
Committee on Administration of Justice in 1964-1966 and chairman of the
Organization of the
Bar Committee in 1973-1974. Lochridge is a Democrat and has served as
a senior warden and vestryman of the Episcopal Church. He is a past
president of the Mission and Austin Kiwanis Clubs and holds memberships
in the Salvation Army Advisory Board of Austin, the Princeton Elm Club,
the Lincoln's Inn Society, and the Choate Club. He is a former director
of the Austin Symphony Orchestra.