Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) for Lawyers: Join Our Network
Why should you join the Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS)? Our panel members enjoy:
You never know where your next big case may come from – let us help direct it to you! Download the LRIS Application and Guidelines, complete and return the membership application today.
Already a member of LRIS?
We field 6,000-7,000 calls per month and serve more than 240 counties across Texas*. Each call is carefully screened to make sure we are sending qualified referrals to our panel members – only 45% of the callers qualify as a panel referral, while the other 55% are referred to legal aid, local referral programs or other resources.
Referrals are made on rotation and based on the county (or counties) you service and on the subject area (or areas) you engage in. We will work with you to customize your preferences so that we provide you with the best referrals possible. You can also change your preferences at any time.
Panel members agree to provide to all referral clients an initial consultation of up to ½ hour for no more than $20, a fee which you keep. After which, if you and the client agree to continue with the case, your standard fees apply for the services(s) you provide.
On any referral from LRIS that results in a case that generates attorney fees of $500 or more, 10% of the total fees are to be remitted back to LRIS.
Callers who indicate they are looking for low or no cost legal assistance are directed to a pro bono service or other resource.
In order to join, you must be a member of the State Bar of Texas in good standing, pursuant to Rule 1.01 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct**. All members of the LRIS must also carry professional liability insurance for a minimum of $100,000. Click here for more details (pdf).
2. Return your completed application, professional liability insurance declaration page, and a check for $125 (annual fee) made payable to the State Bar of Texas / LRIS. Mail to:
State Bar of Texas / LRIS
Or fax your application and professional liability insurance page with Visa or MasterCard payment to fax number (512) 427-4115.
Please allow us 2-3 days to process your application once we receive it.
You will receive a welcome letter in the mail with more details on reporting guidelines.
Thank you for your interest in LRIS. We hope to work with you soon!
Contact us with any questions at (800) 204-2222, ext. 1720.
*Our service does not include the counties of
Bexar, Dallas, El Paso, Harris, Jefferson, Nueces, Tarrant and Travis,
as these counties are covered by local referral programs.