Frequently Asked Questions for Lawyers

Here are answers to the top 11 questions asked by State Bar of Texas members:

How do I find another attorney's phone number and address?

Anyone can search our directory of State Bar of Texas members. The directory is searched millions of times each year.

Make sure your own profile is up-to-date by visiting "My Bar Page" and logging in. My Bar Page: Log in and scroll down to the "My Profile" tab

{Back to top}

I mailed my dues and tax payment - have you received it yet?

Check your payment status on My Bar Page or call us at (800)204-2222. Ext. 1383.

  • My Bar Page: Log in and check the current status of your fees. Click on the "My Dues and Taxes" tab.

  • Dues & Other Fees: Get the details on your annual dues and fees, and how to submit payment.

{Back to top}

What does a person do to become active or inactive, or to request a letter of good standing?

You'll find instructions on our "Common Lawyer Requests?" page.

  • Common Lawyer Requests: Request a letter of good standing, active or inactive status, a replacement bar card, and more.

{Back to top}

How do I get a new bar card?
Can I pay my taxes or dues over the phone? If not, then how?

We're sorry. We cannot accept phone payments at this time. You may, however, pay your dues and fees online on My Bar Page.

  • My Bar Page: Log in and pay your dues and fees in the "My Dues and Taxes section.

  • Dues & Other Fees: Get the details on your annual dues and fees, and how to submit payment in this section.

{Back to top}

I can't remember my password to log in to "My Bar Page."

{Back to top}

How do I look up another attorney's grievance history?

You may find grievance information within the last 10 years under the attorney's profile in our lawyer member directory.

I need to know if a firm has a good reputation. Can you help me?

We're sorry. The State Bar of Texas does not evaluate or recommend individual firms.

{Back to top}

How do I check how many hours I've completed toward my MCLE requirement?
  • My Bar Page: Log in and check the status of your hours under the "My MCLE Hours" tab.
  • MCLE Information: Get more details about the mandatory 15 hours in our MCLE compliance section.

{Back to top}

I have signed up and paid for a TexasBarCLE course. However, I'm not going to be able to attend. How do I get a refund?

Our MCLE department cannot issue refunds. This is handled directly by our TexasBarCLE Department.

  • For a refund, please contact TexasBarCLE by email at:

  • Or call TexasBarCLE at 800-204-2222, ext. 1749.
I can't afford my CLE. Can the Bar help me?
  • TexasBarCLE makes a limited number of needs-based scholarships available for attendance at its live courses and selected video replays. Call 800-204-2222, x1574 for more information.
How do I get a 3rd year bar card?
What is the State Bar's Pro Bono Policy?

{Back to top}